Thursday, November 1, 2012

Justice is SERVED! Angulo SUP Recovered

Sweetwater Paddlesports in Bonita Springs is the SUP shop closest to my house. After my board was stolen earlier this week I asked them to be on the lookout in case the thief tried to pawn it off on them. They were very helpful, and in fact reported that a suspicious young guy had come into the shop after the theft, asking strange questions about the resale value of a paddleboard, and asking what was the "round thingy" on the deck. We figured he was referring to the windsurfing mast-base attachment still on my board.

So it didn't completely surprise me when Sweetwater called me again this afternoon, announcing that they had just seen the perp carrying my board towards the beach along the sidewalk across from their shop. Both they and I called the Bonita Springs Sheriffs, who zipped out to the scene and caught him red handed. The Sheriffs interviewed me on the phone to verify that they had the right board, then I drove out there to pick it up. The bad guy was still being interrogated at the scene when I arrived. Apparently he confessed, and now he's going to jail.

Photobucket

It was strange being right there 10 feet from the thief, although we didn't make eye contact or talk to each other or anything. In a weird way I felt sorry for him, just because he was so pathetic in that moment. I would have been more purely angry if he had been trying to sell the board, or vandalize it, but since he was on the way to try to paddle it I had just the tiniest bit of sympathy for him. I've had a wonderful life with lots of cool toys and ocean adventures. He probably has not. Maybe one day after he's paid his dues he'll make it straight and get to ride a SUP that he has actually acquired legitimately. Or maybe not. Whatever...

6 comments:

LJR said...

It's natural to feel sorry for him, that shows you are a compassionate person. However, he is a thief. And showed no compassion or thought of your feelings when he helped himself to your paddle board. Yes like me you are fortunate to have a shed of water toys. But you worked hard to earn it so you should not feel guilty because others choose the 'easy' path. Good you got it back though.

P.S I really enjoy your blogs and windsurf videos

Lady Notorious said...

The sheriff's department has this crazy victim's line where they call you and give you details of the whole thing as it's happening, like, "The criminal's been booked, he's in jail now," and when he'll get out, and when he'll have trial (if he does). It's way more involved than I was expecting.

Honestly, I am so overjoyed to have the SUP back so I can get back to windsurfing that I could care less what happens to him. Just as long as he doesn't steal other people's favorite things!

I have to give a shout out to the amazing people at the board shop who took the initiative to keep an eye out for the board and to call the cops. We wouldn't have gotten the board back without them, they're my heroes. :)

Unknown said...

Wow! Lucky you. There is justice after all (and a friendly surf shop). Doubt that would happen here in Spain. Keep up the blogs/ windsurfing videos,they are really great! :)

wilanz said...

That's great news. Glad you got it back. Happy SUP and SUP Sailing!

mark said...

Don't feel sorry for him. He was on the way to the beach to try to sell it. I've had plenty of experience with stolen boards and kite gear to know these people are just going to do it again if they get the chance. Glad you got your board back. See ya out on the water.

Magnum said...

Great news, enjoy your board! I wish police worked so well here in Spain...