Wednesday, August 18, 2010

My MUFin: Says What it Does, Does What it Says

A while back I made a post about Maui Ultra Fins, aka "MUFins", a newish brand of windsurfing fins. Well, I finally bought one, a 32 cm "No Spin" fin, which I tried for the first time last week. Before going into detail, let me just say it worked as advertised, i.e., it worked fantastic.

I was riding my 106 liter Exocet Cross with a 6.8 msq Aerotech Phantom sail, a combination that I love but hadn't found quite the right fin to accompany. The fins I had tried on it previously were either too small and wimpy, too slow and draggy, or too long and ungainly. The "No Spin", however, seemed to have tons of power to get planing and point upwind while maintaining a quick and maneuverable feel. Also, as the name implies, it was very resistant to "spin out", at least when it was free of weeds. My only frustations with it were that it didn't come with a fin cover, that the well for the fin screw was a bit too shallow, and that the base was a little loose in the fin box until I shimmed it with a piece of tape. Of course, that last bit could have been an issue with the fin box on my board rather than the fin itself.

Anyway, I'm pretty stoked on the MUFins brand now, and I reckon they're a safe bet for folks in the market for a new fin.

No comments: