Saturday, December 26, 2009

Uncle Tom's New Toy

I gave my uncle Tom a "trainer kite" for Christmas, and the family went to the beach today to play with it. Everyone got to fly it except uncle Tom. The kite is an HQ Rush III 250, which is a fun size for flying on land. It has two-line control, but with an extra third line attached to the trailing edge so you can relaunch it when it lands face-down. The third line also attaches to a safety leash, so if you let go of the bar, the kite depowers and crumples to the ground. The wind picked up enough while we were flying the trainer that I decided to rig up my 12 m kite and actually go kiteboarding. The incoming tide was opposing the NW wind, which made it easy to stay upwind even though I wasn't particularly powered.

Boxing Day Kite Flying & Boarding at Edisto from James Douglass on Vimeo.


If you want to visit Edisto, check out the information on my dad's blog about how you can rent our beach house, the "Dragonfly".

No comments: