Monday, October 19, 2009

Unequivocal Windy Season Opener

After work today at the Fort Pierce South Jetty I saw a bunch of kiteboarders I hadn't seen since April, and one other windsurfer. I guess that means the windy season has begun. The breeze was NE and STRONG, but kind of up and down. The kiters were mostly on 8s and 9s. My 5.5 sail and 83 liter Starboard Evo worked pretty well, except I kept catching weeds on my fin. I need to find a good US Box weedfin for sails 5.5 and smaller.

Anyway, here's the video. It's kinda long, but I tried to actually pick good songs this time, and put a little more into the editing. There's some surprises in it, too. Hope you like it.

7 comments:

Andy said...

Nice James! The sky looks really pretty towards the end there. Glad to hear the windy season is back on!

How long is the fin box on your evo? It can be tough to fit true weed fins into some of the wave boards due to the longer chord lengths... The boards work better with modified wave fins like the Tangent Hydra or MFC Weed Wave San Carlos, anyway. Good luck in your search!

James Douglass said...

Andy- Yeah, the sky was awesome. FL and the OBX both have awesome skies, imho.

The Evo finbox is definitely short, so that might be a problem if I go for something like a true ames surfgrass or wardog weed wave. I was thinking about trying one of those new "MUFins" in the 24 cm weed fin size. They seem to have short bases, but I don't know how appropriate they would be for waves.

Van said...

Nice footage man, thanks. I won't be able to get for a week, a week! The wind is up, but my lady won't let me come out and play. Actually she's work alot this week, but whatever.

Timothy said...

Great video! I saw myself cruising past you a few times. These past few days have almost made up for the complete and utter lack of wind over the last 6 months. Looks like we might even get another day tomorrow! And hopefully I won't put myself in the hospital now that I know you've got a camera out there...

James Douglass said...

Van- Bummer! Well, hopefully the wind will come back again when you have time.

Tim- Yeah, your blue and white GK kite is pretty distinctive. In the new video I think there are some better shots of you actually getting air and stuff.

Van said...

Hey James. I just read your article in the latest edition of Windsurfing Magazine, dude you're everywhere!
Would you consider doing a post some of the more esoteric windsurfing slang? Some of us newbie’s are still confused on terms like "getting lit"

Thanks Man, you rock!

James Douglass said...

Van- That's a good idea. I think I'll do that. :)