Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Broke, Broken

I knew this month would be an interesting challenge when I spent most of my money on a new windsurf board last weekend.

It got more interesting this morning when I broke my only 460 cm mast.

Photobucket

It was a cheap, used one that I bought to replace the one I gave to my dad to take to South Carolina. It kinked at the joint when I was pumping my 6.6 sail in marginal conditions. Fortunately, I was able to sail back to the beach and didn't rip the mast sleeve.

So, that makes me a wind-snob for the rest of the month. The biggest sail I can rig on my next biggest mast is a 5.8, which takes close to 20 mph to work right. Dang.

On a not-totally-unrelated note, I still have a board for sale, some fins for sale, and I'm offering beginner windsurfing lessons evenings and weekends! All cheap.
...

4 comments:

Johnny Douglass said...

Hey, maybe I can give back the 460 you gave me when you come for Thanksgiving and get myself a 480 or so since it seems my existing but heavy fat fiberglass mast is a 485. Can you wait that long?

George Markopoulos said...

I've twice broken a mast, and one of those times was similar. Marginal conditions and it snapped when I was pumping

Andy said...

You better hope for waves!! 10 knots + 5.8 + longboard in waves = total satisfaction!!

James Douglass said...

Dad- Sounds like a plan. I have no problem waiting 'til thanksgiving. If you get some warm weather in SC, make good use of the mast before then!

George- Yeah, I'm going to be a little shy about pumping the sail after this.

Andy- Well, I'll certainly give it a try. :)