Wednesday, December 12, 2007

75 Degrees of Freedom

It seems like every year around Christmas or New Years, Virginia gets some FREAK warm weather. Case in point: today it was 75 degrees and windy.

Paul Richardson, Sam Lake, and I knew it was coming yesterday and made plans to "adjust" our work schedules. We met at Carmine Island at 9 am this morning to catch the WSW breeze. It was gusty as usual, but held around 15 knots for an hour or so. Paul rode my Kona with a 5.8 m sail and got some fast runs and good learning experiences. I used a 6.6 m sail on a 92 liter Mistral Edge (pictures), then switched boards to a 114 liter Fanatic Skate when the wind lightened up. Sam flew a 12 m kite and got some big jumps.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

We all got our daily requirements of vitamin D and adrenaline. Then the wind died around 11 am so we packed up and went back to work. :)

3 comments:

PeconicPuffin said...

Warm shwarm...get in a drysuit and get out there!

:)

scooper said...

I love the pictures! How do you get them to post so big in your blog? I'm on google blogger too but the large pictures that I post come out at a fraction of this size. Did you play with the HTML?

James Douglass said...

Puffin- If I ever have to live at more Northerly latitude than Virginia, I will definitely pick up a drysuit. :) Although it might interfere with the internal liquid heat distribution system I use for my wetsuit.

Scooper- I created a free account on photobucket.com and I store my big photos there. Photobucket gives you a code for each picture that you can cut and paste into your blogger blog while in the "edit html" mode. That way they show up actual size instead of being shrunken by blogger.